URE is democratically governed by the members it serves. The strength of the cooperative lies in having a qualified and committed board of trustees. Trustees serve as elected representatives and are accountable to our members. 2 board seats are up for election in 2023: District 3 (Paris Township) and District 6 (Darby Township) If you live in either District 3 or 6 and are in good standing with the cooperative — you are eligible to run for the board of trustees.
All Members Vote!
Cooperative members elect trustees each year to serve a 3-year term. Members vote for trustees each year before the annual meeting, and the election results are announced at the annual meeting. The 2023 annual meeting is Saturday, June 3. Members can vote for one trustee in each district up for election. Members can vote using SmartHub, online, or by mail and will receive voting information in the mail in May.
Board of Trustee Responsibilities
The board of trustees manages the business and affairs of the cooperative. Trustees represent fellow members and meet each month to set policies and approve budgets. Board members attend a monthly board meeting conducted at the cooperative’s office on the last Tuesday of each month. The meetings begin at 9 a.m. and conclude by 1 p.m. Board members are active in their communities, attend many of the cooperative’s events, and are highly encouraged to attend other meetings and training opportunities throughout the year.
The board of trustees represents the members of URE as the governing body for the cooperative. Each trustee is a member of the cooperative. Board members are nominated by district and are elected at-large. The board of trustees makes decisions that affect the entire membership and represents the interests of all members.
How to Become a Trustee
As a member of the cooperative, you have the opportunity to run for and be elected to serve on the board of trustees when your district’s seat is up for election. Members who live in one of the districts up for election receive a board trustee interest postcard in the mail, in January. If you are interested in becoming a URE trustee, please fill out the trustee interest postcard and return it to the cooperative’s office. Once the cooperative has received your completed card, you will be sent a packet that details board member requirements and responsibilities and an in-depth candidate information form.
Qualifications for Nomination
Seats on the board of trustees are designated by geographic area. To run, a position must be available in your area. To qualify, you must:
- Be a member of the cooperative and resident of the district you want to represent;
- Not be employed by or financially interested in a competing enterprise or a business selling electric power and/or energy, electrical supplies, or appliances to the cooperative or its members;
- Not be employed by the co-op or its subsidiaries within 5 years of the date of election.
- Ohio Cooperative Living (OCL) article on the process for electing trustees, including a timeline
- OCL article on qualifications needed to run for the board
- January 2: Mail member interest cards to the districts
- January 4: 150 days from annual meeting; earliest the board can appoint the nominating committee
- January 20: Member interest cards due; validated for membership; mail member application packet
- January 31: Regular January board meeting; appoint nominating committee
- February 8: Member candidate application due by 4 p.m.
- February 9: Notice/packet mailed to nominating committee
- February 16: Nominating committee meeting (third Thursday in February)
- February 28: Regular February board meeting
- March 2: Second nominating committee meeting notice (if necessary)
- March 25: Last day nominations by committee or petition can be filed with the secretary (70 days prior to annual meeting)
- March 28: Regular March board meeting
- April 25: Regular April board meeting
- Official meeting notice in May OCL magazine
- May 14: Latest ballots can be mailed to members (20 days prior to annual meeting)
- May 23: Regular May board meeting
- Final meeting notice in June OCL magazine
- June 1: Ballots due
- June 3: Annual meeting, 9 a.m. at URE office
- June 27: Reorganization June meeting to elect board officers
Election 2024 – Districts 1, 4, and 5
Election 2025 – Districts 2 and 7